HELLO, PARTY POOPERS!
It’s that time of the year again where I review all of my FREAKING FAILURES and set up some more FREAKING FAILURES for next year.
So without further delay, let’s get to it!
A review of the 2019 resolutions:
- ACCOMPLISHED: The blogs. As always. Not even a hard resolution, but I keep putting it on here ‘cause then I get at least one “ACCOMPLISHED” on my list, haha.
- ACCOMPLISHED: The musics. There are only a few more days left in this Decade of Music project! MADNESS
- FAILED: Get my music organized before the end of the year. I had every intention of doing this and have a few years organized, but I’ve been S U P E R B U S Y and thus haven’t gotten it all done. Hence my pushing back the Decade of Music review.
- ACCOMPLISHED: Walk 4,000 miles. Done. Easily. I won’t hit 5,000, but I’ll probably be in the 4,800s maybe?
- ACCOMPLISHED: Get back to running 10k distances. I was looking at this resolution list a few months ago and was thinking “hey look, this one’s going to be a failure!” But over the past month or so I’ve picked up running again and just recently started running 10k distances. Hell, I ran 10k today! So that’s coolio.
- ACCOMPLISHED: Win NaNoWriMo 2019. I almost didn’t do NaNo this year, due to – you guessed it – being S U P E R B U S Y. But I did it, I won it, and I actually want to keep working on the story, even though it’s a craptastic premise.
- FAILED: Get my blogs in physical form. Hahaha. S U P E R B U S Y.
- FAILED: Write at least 500 words a day, 5 days a week, until my NaNoWriMo 2018 story is done. Then start editing it. NOPE
- SORT OF ACCOMPLISHED: POST THESE GODDAMN BLOGS. As of my writing this list, I haven’t posted my blogs since the end of September. But I posted a whole slog of them earlier this year, I should get credit for that! …Right?
- FAILED: Be. Better. For. Nate. I’m such a bad wife. I try not to be, but I am. It’s rage-inducing.
And now for the 2020 rez list:
- The blogs.
- Walk at least 4,500 miles. This is assuming that I’ll be teaching all year; if I’m not (heaven forbid), let’s say 4,000 miles.
- Do something with my writing. I don’t even freaking care what, really. Just something. I need to be more consistent with it apart from banging out 50,000 words every November. I want to work on one of my old NaNo projects – maybe this year’s, or 2009’s or 2014’s. Or do something with my old short stories. SOMETHING.
- Run a half-marathon. I don’t want to just run half-marathon distances, I want to run in an actual “official” half-marathon race.
- Run a marathon. See above, but replace “half-marathon” with “marathon.”
- Win NaNoWriMo 2020. Let’s keep the streak going!
- Get my blogs in physical form. I really need to do this. I fear losing them more than I fear losing my own life (priorities: I have them)
- Get a body composition analysis. I have no idea what my body fat percentage is, for example, and I’d like to know. I also want to do this near the beginning of the year and then work to improve it (less body fat, more muscle, that kind of thing)
- I’m going to try to be more consistent in posting these blogs, but pffft.
- I’m also going to keep trying to be better for Nate. I really do try, but I’m absolute garbage, so it probably doesn’t even seem like I’m trying half the time. But I am. Sorry, Nate.
I am IN THE ‘SCOW!
And on a completely unrelated note, let’s do some resolutions.
First, a review of the 2018 resolutions:
- ACCOMPLISHED: Blog-a-ma-thon. Did the blogs daily, but failed at posting them with any frequency whatsoever.
- ACCOMPLISHED: Music-a-ma-thon. I only have one more year of this! I’m super excited.
- ACCOMPLISHED: Walk 3,500 miles. It will be quite a bit more than this, but less than last year’s 5,100 miles. More to come on the 31st!
- FAILED: Do at least one of the following: run in the Calgary Marathon or walk 100 miles in a 24-hour period. I kept busting up my leg. Also I suck.
- ACCOMPLISHED: Win NaNoWriMo 2018. I almost quit like five times, but I didn’t.
- FAILED: Write more. HA YEAH RIGHT WITH THIS FREAKING BUSY YEAR I BARELY HAD TIME TO BREATHE
- FAILED: Another resolution that’s PRIVATE! The reason for failing is also PRIVATE!
- FAILED: Be a better wife for Nate. I’m trying, but I’m also garbage, so.
- The blogs.
- The musics.
- Get my music organized before the end of the year. After going through like twenty* different laptops last year, my music organization tanked. Gotta fix it.
- Walk 4,000 miles. I had it set at 3,500 last year and that was TOO LOW BRO so let’s bump it up again. This is assuming I’m teaching all year. Let’s say 3,500 is the goal if I’m not teaching and have to get a different job. I HOPE THAT WON’T HAPPEN HOLY HELL
- Get back to running 10k distances. I have no doubt from a muscular/cardiovascular standpoint that I can do a 10k. It’s mostly the injury that I’m afraid of re-aggravating. Also that runner’s knee that I gave myself a while back. But maybe both of those concerns won’t even crop up.
- Win NaNoWriMo 2019.
- Get my blogs in physical form. I’m not sure if my Year 1 is still going to get here or if it’s lost in the great Canadian wilderness that is the postal system up here, but I’d like to get it and every other completed year in hard copy form, preferably as soon as possible.
- Write at least 500 words a day, 5 days a week, until my NaNoWriMo 2018 story is done. Then start editing it. I gotta do it, yo.
- POST THESE GODDAMN BLOGS
- Be. Better. For. Nate.
BRUH LET’S DO IT
ALRIGHT, YOU TURD COMPASSES. 2017 is almost over. Let’s review the year’s resolutions and make some more for next year, huh?
ACCOMPLISHED: The blogs. As always.
ACCOMPLISHED: The musics. As always.
ACCOMPLISHED: Walk either 4,000 miles (if I’m teaching all year) or 3,000 miles (if I’m not). I murdered this. I murdered this with a knife. More details to come on January 1st.
SORT OF ACCOMPLISHED: See if I can muscle my way into a more permanent lecturer position at U of C. This is something that’s mostly out of control, but hey, I can try. I’m still at the same level of permanency (that is, I’m still just a sessional instructor), but I keep getting re-hired at this level. Plus I’m getting two classes this coming semester instead of just one, so I’m hoping this will all lead to something more permanent soon. Come on, universe, do me a solid.
ACCOMPLISHED: Win NaNoWriMo 2017. For serious this time. It’s been too long. I actually won a NaNo for the first time since 2014! I like my story (sorta), too, so there’s that.
FAILED: Write more in general. Vague resolution is vague, but I guess I could narrow it down to either editing Prime or Arborhood. I did almost zero writing outside of NaNoWriMo this year. Unless you count the fanfic that’s nearly 150,000 words now. Which I do not.
FAILED: The blog archives. Get ‘em done. I did absolutely nothing involving my blog archives this year. Too busy.
SORT OF ACCOMPLISHED: Along the same line as the previous resolution: figure out some sort of way to get my archives printed and bound. I’d love to have a hard copy of each year, sort of like an Encyclopedia of Eigenblogger thing. I didn’t get anything printed, but I did find an online service that would do so for relatively cheap (about $80 per years’ worth of blogs). So hopefully that will happen soon.
FAILED: Be a better wife for Nate. He’s the best husband I could ever ask for and I’m still getting used to this “wife” thing, so I definitely think there’s a lot of room for improvement as far as being as good to him as he is to me. I think I ended up being a worse wife than before, if that’s even possible. I don’t know how he puts up with me. He shouldn’t have to.
FAILED: STOP BEING GARBAGE. I AM STILL THE GARBAGE.
In my defense, my walking goal sucked a lot of my time, energy, and ability to care about anything else, hence a lot of those “FAILED” resolutions.
But I’ll try to be better this year. Let’s get to ‘er.
- Blog-a-ma-thon. I’m not sure if this really counts as a resolution since I do it every damn year anyway, but what the hell.
- Music-a-ma-thon. Again, I’m not sure if this really counts as a resolution since I do it every damn year…but what the hell.
- Walk 3,500 miles. I’d rather it was 4,000 miles, but I had to compromise with Nate because I really went overboard with the miles this year and he says I need to scale it back. He’s probably right. It took a lot of time to walk that much this year. And lots of pain. Lots and lots of pain.
- Do at least one of the following: run in the Calgary Marathon or walk 100 miles in a 24-hour period. I actually don’t know which of these would be harder, but I know that I’m currently terrified of running. I want to run. I dream about running. But I’m too scared to try it. So maybe the marathon will be out no matter what.
- Win NaNoWriMo 2018.
- Write more. I’ve had this damn resolution for like the past three years and VERY LITTLE WRITING HAS TAKEN PLACE. So let’s make it more concrete. I’m currently really into my NaNo story from this year. So let’s say that I’ll write at least 500 words a day, 4 days a week, until that story is “done.” Then I’ll edit 500 words a day, 4 days a week, it until it’s more “done.” I’ll keep editing it in this fashion until it’s where I want it. If by some miracle this whole process is completed before the end of 2018, I’ll do the same thing for Prime. Or Arborhood.
- Another resolution that’s PRIVATE!
- Seriously. Be a better wife for Nate. I tanked this last year. I need to rock it this year. He deserves more than I am.
FLIPPITY FLAP I AM CRAP
So 2016 was an eventful year. BUT WAS IT EVENTFUL ENOUGH?? ? ? ?? ? ?
Let’s find out.
- ACCOMPLISHED: Get the thesis done and defended. This went a lot smoother than the 2011 version did.
- ACCOMPLISHED: Blogs: do them daily. Nailed it.
- ACCOMPLISHED: Musics: do them daily. Nailed it.
- FAILED: Win NaNoWriMo 2016. Ha. I’m garbage.
- SORT OF FAILED: Complete and format all my blog archives, in honor of this being my 10th year of blogging. Well, I managed to get all 10 years copied down into Word documents, but the formatting still hasn’t happened. But if Eigenblogger goes up in smoke for some reason, I’ve got backups of everything now.
- ACCOMPLISHED: Walk 2,000 miles. I actually did way more than this. I’ll talk about that on the 1st.
- ACCOMPLISHED: Win another TA award. I actually can’t remember if I won a regular TA award this year (I don’t think I did), but I did win the award for being one of the best TAs in the whole Faculty of Science, so that totally counts, right?
- ACCOMPLISHED: Draw more. This is kind of subjective since I didn’t really specify what “more” was, but I do believe that I’ve done more drawing this year than I did in 2015.
- FAILED: Improve my sign language. Maybe…be able to sign 200 phrases by the end of the year? Hahaha. Nope. But I do remember the few signs I taught myself at the beginning of the year.
- FAILED: Keep writing. Work on Prime, mainly. And maybe a short story or two. And maybe Arborhood. NOPE. My writing’s so crappy that I don’t feel like there’s much of a point anymore.
- ACCOMPLISHED: Get married! YAY!
- The blogs.
- The musics.
- Walk either 4,000 miles (if I’m teaching all year) or 3,000 miles (if I’m not).
- See if I can muscle my way into a more permanent lecturer position at U of C. This is something that’s mostly out of control, but hey, I can try.
- Win NaNoWriMo 2017. For serious this time. It’s been too long.
- Write more in general. Vague resolution is vague, but I guess I could narrow it down to either editing Prime or Arborhood.
- The blog archives. Get ‘em done.
- Along the same line as the previous resolution: figure out some sort of way to get my archives printed and bound. I’d love to have a hard copy of each year, sort of like an Encyclopedia of Eigenblogger thing.
- Be a better wife for Nate. He’s the best husband I could ever ask for and I’m still getting used to this “wife” thing, so I definitely think there’s a lot of room for improvement as far as being as good to him as he is to me.
- STOP BEING GARBAGE.
That’s all that I can think of for now.
Hey, it’s the 29th! Looks like it’s the annual “let’s review the old resolutions and make some new ones” blog post.
- ACCOMPLISHED: Blog daily. Was there ever any doubt?
- ACCOMPLISHED: Continue my 365 Days of Music project. This year was rough because it was probably the worst year for music since I started this, but I still managed.
- FAILED: Continue working on my writing project thingy. Apart from Arborhood, I didn’t get much writing done AT ALL this year. It was quite shameful.
- ACCOMPLISHED: Win NaNoWriMo 2014. YAY! It felt pretty good to do this considering I didn’t even start NaNo last year. And I actually kind of like my story and plan on editing it.
- ACCOMPLISHED: Graduate. I never, ever, ever thought I’d have a math degree, let alone graduate with honors while getting one. Graduation sucked, but we’re not going to get into that here.
- FAILED: Try not to be such a horrible freaking failure at everything I do. Yeah, that didn’t happen.
Those were some crappy resolutions.
- Blog daily, 365 musics, blah, blah, blah.
- Win NaNoWriMo 2015.
- Now that I’m pretty sure next year will be stable as far as where I’ll be and what I’ll be doing, I’mma set a walking goal! Let’s say…1,500 miles. Pretty low, I know, but there’s always Calgary weather to take into account, right?
- WRITE. It doesn’t have to necessarily be new stuff (except for NaNo, of course), but I really need to commit to rewrites of some of my old stuff. Prime is important to me; I don’t want to let it die.
- Post these damn blogs on a more frequent and consistent basis. I’m going to try for once a week, but don’t hate me if this doesn’t happen.
- Kick ass in my grad program. I want to show U of C that I can do stats very, very well. Also, I have no desire to leave Calgary any time soon.
Are you ready for a long post? ‘CAUSE YOU’RE GONNA GET ONE!
Well here we are, ladies and gents. 365 days later, I now have 365 new songs, one for each day of 2010.
Snazzy? YES I’D CERTAINLY SAY SO.
So this was a super fun New Year’s resolution. If you have the time and money, I highly recommend you try this out. Anyway. Because I’m a stats whore, you know this year has to end with a bunch of analyses. Otherwise, what’s the point?
Total songs: 365 (duh)
Total time: 24 hours, 14 minutes and 48 seconds
Total size: 2.59 GB
Mean song length: 4 minutes (okay, 3 minutes, 59.412 seconds)
First song: United State of Pop 2009 (Blame It on the Pop) by DJ Earworm
Last song: United State of Pop 2010 (Don’t Stop the Pop) by DJ Earworm
Total number of Sleepyhead remixes/covers: 6 (shut up, that song is like heroin)
Estimated cost: ~$350. The vast majority of songs were either $0.99 or $1.29 (yes, I made it a point to acquire songs legally), but I also use justmusicstore.com for the songs I couldn’t find on iTunes; their songs are $0.15 each.
The bests are as follows. I’m not going to embed the vids because that would make this post even longer, but they’re all linked. Go forth!
Top 10 Favorite Music Videos/Regular Videos Featuring the Artist(s)
Some aren’t official, but they SHOULD be!
1. The Music Scene – Blockhead
2. White Winter Hymnal – Fleet Foxes
3. Happy Up Here – Royksopp
4. Hey There Mr. – Leisure Alaska
5. Bad Romance – Lady Gaga
6. Resistance – Muse
7. This Too Shall Pass – OK Go
8. Viva La Love Story – Jon Schmidt
9. Flightless Bird, American Mouth – Iron & Wine
10. Disorganized Fun – Ronald Jenkees
Top 5 Most Touching Songs
These made me bawl. Very powerful.
1. The Last Day on Earth – Kate Miller-Heidke
2. 10,000 Miles – Mary Chapin Carpenter
3. Eet – Regina Spektor
4. Happy Ending – Mika
5. Flightless Bird, American Mouth – Iron & Wine
The Five Stars
The final list for the year, listed from January to December acquisition
Disorganized Fun – Ronald Jenkees
Bad Romance – Lady Gaga
Happy Up Here – Royksopp
White Winter Hymnal – Fleet Foxes
Blow Up – Gooseflesh
Viva La Love Story – Jon Schmidt
Sleepyhead (Run Toto Run Cover) – Passion Pit
Monster – Lady Gaga
Sleepyhead (Cillo Remix) – Passion Pit
Hey There Mr. – Leisure Alaska
Yours To Keep – Teddybears featuring Paola
Cobrastyle – Robyn
The Music Scene – Blockhead
Alejandro – Lady Gaga
Mediational Field – Susumu Hirasawa
I Want You To Want Me – Cheap Trick
I’m The Man Who Murdered Love – XTC
So what are the best of the best? Like the top 5? Well here they are:
Sleepyhead (Cillo Remix) – Passion Pit
Oh my god. Ohmygodohmygodohmygod. This is SUCH a chill remix of the coolest song on the planet. 5 minutes and 16 seconds of “you can’t worry about anything because if you try to break the chill trance of this song, your head will explode.”
Hey There Mr. – Leisure Alaska
There’s just something about this song, man. The singer’s voice is like Chris Martin (Coldplay) mixed with peanut butter—very smooth, very lingering, with an ease of singing that is very apparent in the chorus. Fantastic.
Happy Up Here – Royksopp
The future is here, and it’s got a great beat. This is what electronic music should sound like. Very catchy.
Viva La Love Story – Jon Schmidt
The way this song crescendos to Viva La Vida is AMAZING. A very nice blend of Taylor Swift’s Love Story and Coldplay’s Viva La Vida using a cello and a piano.
I’m The Man Who Murdered Love – XTC
I actually just downloaded this song yesterday, but holy freaking crap it’s like crack. I danced to it on repeat for about an hour this afternoon. The tempo is perfect.
And I just have to give an honorable mention to Dildo by Interactive, solely because of the fact that this song consists of only 4 words—with 95% of the lyrics being “dildo”—and yet is so undeniably catchy that it begs to be played in the car at maximum volume when you’re driving around with your friends.
Now I’m sure you’re all looking for some plots, am I right? Just say yes, it’ll make things go more smoothly.
Here is the year in review: music style. Pie chart has been used due to the fact a bar graph would have sucked owing to the large range. As you can see, I am an electronic whore.
Here’s an aesthetically pleasing donut plot done of the top 4 genres plotted by month. January is the innermost circle, December is the outermost.
Here is a pie chart of the playcounts for the year (clicky for full size). I listened to songs purchased in 2010 a total of 15,045 times. The mean length of song is almost exactly 4:00, so that means I listened to a total of 3,610,800 seconds of music (60,180 minutes, 1,003 hours, or 41 days and 19 hours). Wow. And that’s just the music from this year, that doesn’t even count all the older stuff I listened to.
Oh, and the correlation between number of songs in a genre purchased and the number of plays for a particular genre? .98. For anyone who cares.
I was going to do a bunch of stuff with the genre plots, but they’re a lot messier than I was anticipating and therefore look like crap, so I’ll just leave you with a pdf list of the music I downloaded this year: 2010 Song List
I totally recommend doing this. Totally.
Today’s song: United State of Pop 2010 (Don’t Stop the Pop) by DJ Earworm
Huttah! New Year’s resolutions on Christmas Eve! Hey, why isn’t there a Christmas Adam?
Anyway, here are the few little resolution’s I’ve made:
1. Be myself. Yeah, yeah, I know I’ve always been myself, but I want to let it out there a little more. I’m too damn shy (some may debate that this shyness is part of who I am, but I don’t know). I’ve decided that—even more so than before—I’m not going to give a crap about what other people think about me. I’m one of those people who you either love or hate. If you hate me, screw you. I’m not going to change. If you love me, great! I’ll take off my pants at your request!
2. Go to the rec center every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday no matter what (unless I’m in the hospital/dead/on a date.
EDIT: broken on Jan. 5th. Loser.
3. Get a date. I need one, already.
4. Get a life. I need one, already.
ADDED: 5. Get laid. (Not Lay’s®, that’s different. )
That’s about it.