YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO let’s list. I know I already did a December list but SCREW IT.
- If you’re interested at all in travel bloggers who focus more on the transportation rather than the destination (i.e., the airport/flight, terminal/bus, station/train, etc.), one good one I’ve recently found is Paul Lucas’ YouTube channel “Wingin’ It! Paul Lucas.” He’s very knowledgeable about airplane travel (train travel, too, but I’ve only seen his airplane-based reviews thus far) and has a nice chill voice. Check him out here.
- When I was in SeaTac on Christmas and doing one of three “run between two different gates because we don’t know where the plane will be LOL” exercises, I saw someone with a super colorful backpack. I didn’t want to be a creep and take a picture of them, so instead I was a creep and walked up kind of close behind them so I could see the brand of the backpack. The brand was “Cotopaxi,” so when I got to Moscow later that day, I looked it up. Cotopaxi is a company that makes backpacks, outerwear, and activewear with a focus on sustainability and recycled materials. They put 1% of their profits towards addressing poverty and community development. The reason the person’s Cotopaxi backpack was so colorful was because it was made from a mishmosh of leftover materials from other backpack constructions and the employee who makes the backpack gets to choose the pieces and colors. Check out those backpackshere!
- Hahaha. Fake, but pretty funny.
- I’m reading (fiction) for pleasure for the first time in like two years and it’s weird. It makes me want to write (or more specifically, work on my 2019 NaNo project some more).
- I hate myself.
Uhhhhhhhh I think that’s it for now.
- It’s the Solstice today and HOLY HELL am I ready for the days to start getting longer. I’m basically solar powered, so I need those sweet, sweet, UV rays.
- Am I the only one for whom The Empire Strikes Back was their least favorite of the three original Star Wars movies?
- Nate and I now have Disney+. Commence Hardcore Nostalgia Tripping Sequence.
- Did…did the legal age to purchase tobacco in the US just get raised to 21? How did that happen so…quietly?
Edit: oh, ‘cause it was part of the bill that also included our brand new fucking SPACE MILITARY. ‘Cause if the US is lacking in anything, it’s military presence.
- Seriously, what kind of dystopian nightmare are we playing with here?
- I know I post a song from this group like every 10 days or so, but they’re just phenomenal. If they ever come to western Canada on tour, I’m totally going to go see them in person.
- Y’all know I love mashups, right? Well, the more “unusual” or “like hell that’s going to sound good!” the songs sound, the better the mashup actually tends to be. Example:
- I can’t freaking wait to give you all my Decade of Music results. There are going to be so many lists and rankings and stats. SO. MANY.
K DONE BYE
Yo, nerd bombs. ‘Tis the time for a list!
- Nate is watching Breaking Bad with me, since I’ve still never seen it. It’s quite good and very engaging.
- This is a really well-done music video.
- Not sure if I’ve ever mentioned this game on here before, but if so, here it is again! Cursor10 is a game where you have 10 timed tries to get through to the end of the game. After the time runs out on a given trial, you start back at the beginning, but you’re able to see where your cursor was on the previous trial(s) and have to cooperate with your old cursors to get to the end. It’s pretty cool.
- I am definitely going to get my hair cut short. Can’t stand it anymore.
- I’m really into neon right now. Neon clothes, neon eyeshadow. I used to shun it because it never appealed to me, but suddenly it’s my jam.
- I might actually win NaNo this year, despite my terrible start. WOO!
Is that everything? That’s everything.
Hi. Let’s go.
- This is why I want to go to a Coldplay concert. I really hope they do at least one more tour and come somewhere vaguely close to Calgary (or, y’know, they come to Calgary).
- A hilarious watching/commentary of the Netflix movie “Tall Girl”
- The first minute or so of this is how I imagine the Calgary ScooterGangs roll.
- I have to invigilate a two-hour midterm tonight and then spend tomorrow morning grading it and I don’t want to do either of those things.
- Astros vs. Nationals in the World Series? I’ll take it. I’m cool with either of those teams winning.
- I love how I was like three days away from having my blog 100% up to date and then managed to screw it up. Classic Claudia.
- Check out this resting heart rate, yo.
- Cured egg yolks?! Holy crap, this looks so good.
I think that’s everything.
Yeah it is.
Let’s do it.
- Look at how FREAKING GOOD these eggs look. Nom.
- If you’re the type who likes highlighter, try out e.l.f.’s prismatic duos. They’re pretty subtle, but you can definitely see them!
- I keep forgetting to mention this even though it’s been like a month, but when I had my job interview for the instructor position, we all went to dinner at this place called NOtaBLE. The menu looked super fancy and I was worried I wouldn’t be able to find anything I liked, but I got the chicken confit ravioli and it was so freaking good. So if you’re ever in Calgary and want to go to a fancy place, I’d recommend it.
- I hate hate hate hate HATE hate HATE hate HATE the current trend of “let’s bring back old movies/TV shows/bands/toys/etc. ‘cause nostalgia sells!” I don’t think I can even accurately express my level of hate for this. The Brady Bunch (renovation show)? Seriously? Why is that even remotely necessary? And Scooby-freaking-Doo? W H Y. I actually don’t know what’s worse: companies who are willing to stoop to this level to make the $ or the fact that there are enough consumers who keep falling for this garbage to continue to make it profitable.
- I am mad now, haha.
- I love how my “liked Tweets” on Twitter are like 70% baseball-related, 20% stats- or math-related, and 10% Meme Central.
- Y’all are probably aware of my soft spot for “The Sound of Silence” covers, huh? Well, here’s another fantastic one. So beautiful. I freaking love cellos; that low note at 0:55 is nnnnnnnnnnnnf.
- I bought a few pairs of Kinvaras when I was in the States a few weeks ago, but now I’m feeling bad about not buying them at my regular Running Room (where all the employees know me). They probably think I’m dead, haha.
SCOOPITY-POOP, IT’S THE AUGUST LIST! Let’s go.
- This might apply to other departments as well, but I wonder if people in math departments especially are picky about their office numbers. Like, my current office number is 564, which is crappy ‘cause it doesn’t really have a nice meaning behind it. But I just found out that they’re going to move me to 360, which is an awesome office number because a) it’s divisible by 10 and that’s a thing I like, and b) it’s the number of degrees in a circle. Pretty cool. My mailbox number is 144, or the square of 12; I like that, too.
- I just realized that every time I come back to Moscow, I actually walk more of my miles in Washington than in Idaho.
- There are a few topics about which I have some very strong opinions, but I’m afraid to voice them because of what my friends (all two of them) might think. Does anyone else feel that way about certain opinions of theirs? Don’t worry, I’m not a closet racist or misogynist or Trump supporter or anything like that. I just have a few opinions on some relatively minor things that I don’t think my friends would agree with.
- This is the hardest time of the year for me because I get this overwhelming urge to go back to school (“school” meaning “undergrad”). Even though I’ve been teaching for several years now, that does not diminish the “LET’S GO BACK TO SCHOOL” drive. ‘Tis a problem.
- This music video is really well done. I didn’t think too much of it at first but now I really like it.
HEY NERDS, IT’S THE JULY LIST
- Those little Lime e-scooters have infiltrated Calgary and no ankles are safe anymore
- Apparently a bunch of dudes in Bowness have started a scooter gang and the title of the corresponding Reddit post was “ScooterGang, ScooterGang, ScooterGang.” I’m assuming this is said to the tune of Lil Pump’s Gucci Gang.
- You know that beautiful downtown library that Calgary has now? Yeah, here’s Edmonton’s. It looks like a tank and/or alien spaceship.
- Jeff McNeil is a freaking fantastic baseball player. He’s got so much energy and he’s so fun to watch. I also love how pumped up he was for Alonso’s Home Run Derby win.
- This is an interesting article. I’m definitely not advocating taking Ritalin if you’re not prescribed it, of course, but this is an interesting bit of information on how to take it correctly if you’re wanting to.
- This is the cutest little sun on this shirt. I bought it and love it. It’s so soft.
- This semester needs to eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeend.
(It’s the May List)
- THE BLOGS ARE COMING, I PROMISE
- What in the name of the seven holy fucks is this music video?
- It’s my brain as of late:
- It’s been two days without a Mets game and I am in freaking withdrawal.
- My skin looks really clear in this picture. It also looks like I’m completely out of fucks. I kinda like it (at least as much as I can “like” any picture of myself).
Yo. Let’s do it.
- My new favorite Met is Jeff McNeil. He’s good and he’s cool.
- I am READY FOR THIS SEMESTER TO BE OVER. It’s been a lot of work, a lot of stress, and I’m about done with my semesterly quota of social interaction.
- I think I just burned out another fraction of my hearing with these Sennheisers. DON’T CARE, WORTH IT
- I don’t know how I don’t have tinnitus yet.
- I want Moon Boots. The problem is that I’d probably never wear them, ‘cause it’s all Kinvaras all the time, regardless of how much snow is on the ground.
- These also look super comfy, but $68. If I spend $6 for a shirt I feel like I’m overpaying. The only thing I willingly shell out dolla-dolla-bills for are my shoes. These pants would also probably be way too long on me.
- Like…I’m sorry, but what did they expect? Did no one think about what would happen after there was a metric tons of balloons in the sky? Where would they go? Would the Stratosphere Clowns eat them?
- (Stratosphere Clowns would be a good band name. The Stratosphere Clown Posse. “Fuckin’ ozone, how does it work?”)
- U of C: Safety First!
- I need to hurry up and finish naming the rest of my fake baseball teams so I can simulate my fake season.
- I’ve fallen back down the rabbit hole that is Riverdale. Nate and I stopped watching in the middle of season 2 because we were like WTF, but I’ve watched so many reviews on how absolutely terrible season 3 is that I just had to see it for myself. Crappy teen dramas are kind of my thing, anyway.
- It’s really nice to be able to actually enjoy my walks again instead of fighting off hypothermia for four hours.
- Look at how FREAKING CUTE the tomatoes on this packet look.
- I want to jump off a cliff.
- The temperature got into the 40s today. What in the hell. It’s December. I’m pretty sure we were well into the negative Fahrenheits by this time last year.
- I found a $50 bill on my walk a few days ago. That’s the most money I’ve ever found!
- As I was looking through my enormous 200+ Word document of blog posts that I have yet to upload, I noticed a large number of my posts start with the word “so.” So that’s weird.
- I wonder if it bothers my students that I spell things the American way rather than the Canadian/British way. I know I had one student a few semesters back who was really bothered by it, but I was like “bro, I’ve assimilated up to the point where I’m relatively good with Celsius and can pretty quickly convert miles to kilometers, but I’m not just going to start throwing extra u’s in words, okay? You know exactly what the words “color” and “behavior” and “fiber” mean. Calm yoself.”
- I’ve found a few more Chicago Hope episodes on YouTube and was watching them all over the weekend while I was grading and I’m aDDICTED TO THAT SHOW AGAIN WHY THE HELL IS IT NOT OUT ON DVD
- I’m super excited to see my mom next week. Moscow party time!
And now the blog is over.
The November List, more specifically.
- Ugh, Muse. Another good one, I see.
- Jacob deGrom won the National League Cy Young Award! Well-deserved.
- So I’ve been having this thing lately where every once and a while, my sense of…I don’t know…equilibrium (?) gets all screwed up and it feels/looks like the whole world is tilting one direction for a second or two. Not sure what that’s all about, but when it happens while I’m out walking, I actually do stumble a bit and walk uncontrollably off the sidewalk in the direction that things are tilting. Then it’s all back to normal in like two seconds.
- I want my FRIGGIN BLOG BOOK. Canada Post, why?
- Is it just me or has this felt like the longest year ever? I was just looking back through my old Twitter posts and thinking, “holy hell, that happened this year?”
- I’m on pace to get 4,000+ miles this year, but there’s no way I’m going to hit 5,000 again, unfortunately. I’m still walking a lot, but it’s nowhere near the “walk until I pee blood” levels that 2017 was.
- I may have some news soon, but I don’t want to jinx it before I know for sure.
- I was feeling extra down yesterday. I mean, I’ve been feeling down for pretty much this entire year, but yesterday was worse than usual. Then I realized it was November 14th yesterday, the day that Leibniz died in 1716, and I’m pretty sure that I feel that in my soul every year. So that explains things.
- Freaking Nate’s gotten me so into baseball that the end of the regular season = severe baseball withdrawal.
- After getting off to a ridiculously good start, the Mets’ season was…well, awful. But they ended on three good notes: 1) Jacob deGrom has a very strong case for being the Cy Young Award winner; 2) David Wright’s last game, which was super touching and awesome; 3) Their offence in the last third or so of the season was actually quite good.
- I am digging this song. Super catchy and all four of those ladies are ridiculously pretty.
- Jesus Christ, I want spaghetti.
- It’s snowing like hell outside. It’s the beginning of October. Kill me.
- W H Y A M I S O S A D ?
- I don’t have anything else, bye.
- Nate played this song for me and I’m really digging it. It’s not a five-star, but it’s damn good anyway.
- LOOK AT HOW GOOD THIS PASTA LOOKS! Yums.
- I have recently discovered the wonder that is dry shampoo and I may never shower again.
- Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh that’s it.
- WHO IS THIS HANDSOME MOTHERFUCKER??
- I need a breather between all of these semesters, but I don’t know if I’m going to get one. Also, getting a breather might translate to “we don’t actually need you anymore bye,” so maybe I don’t need a breather between all of these semesters.
- I’ve had this damn song stuck in my head all day:
- I love YouTube poop. It’s an art form, fight me.
- Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I’m done.
I did my March list too early and I already have a whole list of frivolous crap to say, so here we go.
- This is a BADASS song. I’ve had it stuck in my head ever since I heard it.
- I’m super into watching makeup reviews on YouTube right now. They’re nice to have on in the background and for some reason I find them very calming. Jeffree Star is always good; I’ve also been watching a lot of Tati and Beauty News.
- This is really interesting.
- I’m coming back to Moscow for a few weeks at the end of April/beginning of May! Prepare yourselves.
- All this walking is either going to give me LEGS OF STEEL when I’m older or is going to cause me to have to have like a total lower body replacement. I’m not sure which.
- I haven’t gotten to play ETS in like four days and I’m SAD.
- There is no reason I should be laughing as hard at this as I am. But I am. That freaking accordion noise, oh my god.
- I love mashups. I particularly love unexpected/usual mashups. Example: Toto’s Africa and Lil Jon’ s Get Low. That chorus!
- I miss Sean. A lot. I was organizing the crap on my laptop the other day so that I could back it all up in my three different save locations and I came across a picture of him that was taken as he was messing with his new computer. I miss that awesome nerd. I hope everything is working out for him.
- I AM GARBAGE I AM GARBAGE I AM GARBAGE.
It’s the February list.
- I just discovered r/EuroTruck2 and the top posts are hysterical.
- Me before Bluetooth-capable headphones: Why would I ever need Bluetooth? These headphones are fine.
Me after Bluetooth-capable headphones: FUCK CORDS
- I’m pretty sure I’m addicted to pepper. Like, if my mouth is not on fire, there’s not enough of it. I need to feel the burn, man.
- This overwhelming feeling of apathy needs to go die.
- LOOK AT THIS BEAUTIFUL MOTH
(Okay, the moth helped with the apathy. He’s so big and beautiful!)
I’m done here.
- I MISS BASEBALL. WHEN IS BASEBALL.
- I know movies and TV shows have all sorts of weird stuff in them a lot of the time, but there are two things that always bother me. THE FIRST: a character who has a smartphone with no cover/case on it. I’m sure there’s some alternate universe out there where we all carry naked smartphones around with us, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone in real life with a smartphone that doesn’t at least have a clear protective case on it. THE SECOND: women who are running/fighting/battling/doing something extremely physical without tying their hair back. I don’t know if it’s just because I’ve only ever experienced the unruly, untameable nonsense that is my own hair, but I have trouble believing that a woman with any length of hair that could be tied back would not tie it back if starting something that’s rather physical (especially if it’s something she planned for). I know tied-back hair would probably ruin some of “teh sexiness,” but it just bothers me anyway.
- Earlier this year…February or March maybe…I bought an “anorak in a bag” at the Superstore. It’s a light little coat that folds itself into a tiny zippered bag. It’s the best damn light jacket I’ve ever owned. I was hoping to get a few more (since I wear through the backs of coats/shirts/etc. due to walking while wearing a backpack so often), but they’re not available anymore. I hope they come back in stock early next year.
- THE CHICAGO HOPE EPISODES ARE STILL ON YOUTUBE YES VIRGINIA THERE IS A SANTA CLAUSE
- The semester ends on Friday. I’m ready.
- So Iron Fist was…okay. But the actor who played Ward, Tom Pelphrey, was awesome. I’d never heard of him before. He needs to be in more things.
- I WILL achieve my yearly walking distance goal. Nothing can stop me. I will crawl the last ~550 miles if I have to.
- I just realized that with my walking about four hours a day six days a week, I’m probably spending more of my time walking than I am sleeping. That’s healthy, right?
- I hope that when I die, my crotchety attitude towards people’s terrible walking etiquette will be immortalized in a quote on a bench down by the RiverWalk. It won’t be something inspirational like “go the extra mile – it’s never crowded.” It’ll be something like “it’s called a sidewalk, not a sidestand, you inconsiderate fartmongers. NOW GET OFF MY BENCH!”
- I also just realized that I’m kind of following in my dad’s footsteps in the sense that I’m teaching at a university and want to continue to do so for as long as possible. That’s not something I ever though would happen. It’s kinda cool.
- Some kind and wonderful soul has uploaded every Chicago Hope episode to YouTube. I am in heaven.
- Colby-Jack cheese is objectively the best cheese in the universe. Canada does not have it, for some reason. I know, I know, it’s just Colby cheese and Monterey jack cheese mixed together, but I can’t find either of those on their own up here, either. WTF, Canada?
- Baseball’s not even over and I ALREADY MISS BASEBALL THANKS A LOT NATE JEEZ
- Seriously, Chicago Hope is super underrated. I have no idea why it’s not out on DVD yet.
- I’m pretty sure I’ve mentioned these headphones on this blog before, but if you’re ever on the lookout for a cheap set of headphones that still have good sound quality, go with these low-cost Koss ones. Walmart used to sell them for less than $5, but even at the online cost, they’re still pretty cheap. And they really do have good sound quality.
- So Chicago Hope is out on DVD, but the DVDs are “Region 2” DVDs, which mean they won’t play anywhere but in Japan, Europe, the Middle East, and South Africa. WHAT THE HELL, people, are you going to make me get a universal DVD player to watch Chicago Hope the “legal” way?
- I have a tank top addiction. I’m pretty sure I own over 40 tank tops at this point and just keep buying more. They keep coming out with new and varying colors and they only cost $3.50 apiece, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT ME TO DO
- Now I’m looking at universal DVD players on Amazon because WHAT DO YOU EXPECT ME TO DO
- (Okay, I’m done.)
- Good lord, I miss Vine.
- My fartface leg needs to heal all the way so that I can do these trails, yo.
- Christmas is a long way off, but I just found this video again and still think it’s hilarious. When Patton Oswalt is on, he’s on.
“Somebody in a bad mood on MY SON’S BIRTHDAY?? BULLSHIT!!”
- This would be fantastic on walks in unfamiliar places/scary places around the city. Also airports. I’m super paranoid about my backpack in airports. The size is good, the fact that it’s water resistant (waterproof?) is fantastic, and I love the little cord that you can use to tether it to something. Much better than looping a strap around your leg, which is what I do all the time.
I don’t have much to say today, sorry.