Yeah it is.
Let’s do it.
- Look at how FREAKING GOOD these eggs look. Nom.
- If you’re the type who likes highlighter, try out e.l.f.’s prismatic duos. They’re pretty subtle, but you can definitely see them!
- I keep forgetting to mention this even though it’s been like a month, but when I had my job interview for the instructor position, we all went to dinner at this place called NOtaBLE. The menu looked super fancy and I was worried I wouldn’t be able to find anything I liked, but I got the chicken confit ravioli and it was so freaking good. So if you’re ever in Calgary and want to go to a fancy place, I’d recommend it.
- I hate hate hate hate HATE hate HATE hate HATE the current trend of “let’s bring back old movies/TV shows/bands/toys/etc. ‘cause nostalgia sells!” I don’t think I can even accurately express my level of hate for this. The Brady Bunch (renovation show)? Seriously? Why is that even remotely necessary? And Scooby-freaking-Doo? W H Y. I actually don’t know what’s worse: companies who are willing to stoop to this level to make the $ or the fact that there are enough consumers who keep falling for this garbage to continue to make it profitable.
- I am mad now, haha.
- I love how my “liked Tweets” on Twitter are like 70% baseball-related, 20% stats- or math-related, and 10% Meme Central.
- Y’all are probably aware of my soft spot for “The Sound of Silence” covers, huh? Well, here’s another fantastic one. So beautiful. I freaking love cellos; that low note at 0:55 is nnnnnnnnnnnnf.
- I bought a few pairs of Kinvaras when I was in the States a few weeks ago, but now I’m feeling bad about not buying them at my regular Running Room (where all the employees know me). They probably think I’m dead, haha.
SCOOPITY-POOP, IT’S THE AUGUST LIST! Let’s go.
- This might apply to other departments as well, but I wonder if people in math departments especially are picky about their office numbers. Like, my current office number is 564, which is crappy ‘cause it doesn’t really have a nice meaning behind it. But I just found out that they’re going to move me to 360, which is an awesome office number because a) it’s divisible by 10 and that’s a thing I like, and b) it’s the number of degrees in a circle. Pretty cool. My mailbox number is 144, or the square of 12; I like that, too.
- I just realized that every time I come back to Moscow, I actually walk more of my miles in Washington than in Idaho.
- There are a few topics about which I have some very strong opinions, but I’m afraid to voice them because of what my friends (all two of them) might think. Does anyone else feel that way about certain opinions of theirs? Don’t worry, I’m not a closet racist or misogynist or Trump supporter or anything like that. I just have a few opinions on some relatively minor things that I don’t think my friends would agree with.
- This is the hardest time of the year for me because I get this overwhelming urge to go back to school (“school” meaning “undergrad”). Even though I’ve been teaching for several years now, that does not diminish the “LET’S GO BACK TO SCHOOL” drive. ‘Tis a problem.
- This music video is really well done. I didn’t think too much of it at first but now I really like it.
HEY NERDS, IT’S THE JULY LIST
- Those little Lime e-scooters have infiltrated Calgary and no ankles are safe anymore
- Apparently a bunch of dudes in Bowness have started a scooter gang and the title of the corresponding Reddit post was “ScooterGang, ScooterGang, ScooterGang.” I’m assuming this is said to the tune of Lil Pump’s Gucci Gang.
- You know that beautiful downtown library that Calgary has now? Yeah, here’s Edmonton’s. It looks like a tank and/or alien spaceship.
- Jeff McNeil is a freaking fantastic baseball player. He’s got so much energy and he’s so fun to watch. I also love how pumped up he was for Alonso’s Home Run Derby win.
- This is an interesting article. I’m definitely not advocating taking Ritalin if you’re not prescribed it, of course, but this is an interesting bit of information on how to take it correctly if you’re wanting to.
- This is the cutest little sun on this shirt. I bought it and love it. It’s so soft.
- This semester needs to eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeend.
(It’s the May List)
- THE BLOGS ARE COMING, I PROMISE
- What in the name of the seven holy fucks is this music video?
- It’s my brain as of late:
- It’s been two days without a Mets game and I am in freaking withdrawal.
- My skin looks really clear in this picture. It also looks like I’m completely out of fucks. I kinda like it (at least as much as I can “like” any picture of myself).
Yo. Let’s do it.
- My new favorite Met is Jeff McNeil. He’s good and he’s cool.
- I am READY FOR THIS SEMESTER TO BE OVER. It’s been a lot of work, a lot of stress, and I’m about done with my semesterly quota of social interaction.
- I think I just burned out another fraction of my hearing with these Sennheisers. DON’T CARE, WORTH IT
- I don’t know how I don’t have tinnitus yet.
- I want Moon Boots. The problem is that I’d probably never wear them, ‘cause it’s all Kinvaras all the time, regardless of how much snow is on the ground.
- These also look super comfy, but $68. If I spend $6 for a shirt I feel like I’m overpaying. The only thing I willingly shell out dolla-dolla-bills for are my shoes. These pants would also probably be way too long on me.
- Like…I’m sorry, but what did they expect? Did no one think about what would happen after there was a metric tons of balloons in the sky? Where would they go? Would the Stratosphere Clowns eat them?
- (Stratosphere Clowns would be a good band name. The Stratosphere Clown Posse. “Fuckin’ ozone, how does it work?”)
- U of C: Safety First!
- I need to hurry up and finish naming the rest of my fake baseball teams so I can simulate my fake season.
- I’ve fallen back down the rabbit hole that is Riverdale. Nate and I stopped watching in the middle of season 2 because we were like WTF, but I’ve watched so many reviews on how absolutely terrible season 3 is that I just had to see it for myself. Crappy teen dramas are kind of my thing, anyway.
- It’s really nice to be able to actually enjoy my walks again instead of fighting off hypothermia for four hours.
- Look at how FREAKING CUTE the tomatoes on this packet look.
- I want to jump off a cliff.
- The temperature got into the 40s today. What in the hell. It’s December. I’m pretty sure we were well into the negative Fahrenheits by this time last year.
- I found a $50 bill on my walk a few days ago. That’s the most money I’ve ever found!
- As I was looking through my enormous 200+ Word document of blog posts that I have yet to upload, I noticed a large number of my posts start with the word “so.” So that’s weird.
- I wonder if it bothers my students that I spell things the American way rather than the Canadian/British way. I know I had one student a few semesters back who was really bothered by it, but I was like “bro, I’ve assimilated up to the point where I’m relatively good with Celsius and can pretty quickly convert miles to kilometers, but I’m not just going to start throwing extra u’s in words, okay? You know exactly what the words “color” and “behavior” and “fiber” mean. Calm yoself.”
- I’ve found a few more Chicago Hope episodes on YouTube and was watching them all over the weekend while I was grading and I’m aDDICTED TO THAT SHOW AGAIN WHY THE HELL IS IT NOT OUT ON DVD
- I’m super excited to see my mom next week. Moscow party time!
And now the blog is over.
The November List, more specifically.
- Ugh, Muse. Another good one, I see.
- Jacob deGrom won the National League Cy Young Award! Well-deserved.
- So I’ve been having this thing lately where every once and a while, my sense of…I don’t know…equilibrium (?) gets all screwed up and it feels/looks like the whole world is tilting one direction for a second or two. Not sure what that’s all about, but when it happens while I’m out walking, I actually do stumble a bit and walk uncontrollably off the sidewalk in the direction that things are tilting. Then it’s all back to normal in like two seconds.
- I want my FRIGGIN BLOG BOOK. Canada Post, why?
- Is it just me or has this felt like the longest year ever? I was just looking back through my old Twitter posts and thinking, “holy hell, that happened this year?”
- I’m on pace to get 4,000+ miles this year, but there’s no way I’m going to hit 5,000 again, unfortunately. I’m still walking a lot, but it’s nowhere near the “walk until I pee blood” levels that 2017 was.
- I may have some news soon, but I don’t want to jinx it before I know for sure.
- I was feeling extra down yesterday. I mean, I’ve been feeling down for pretty much this entire year, but yesterday was worse than usual. Then I realized it was November 14th yesterday, the day that Leibniz died in 1716, and I’m pretty sure that I feel that in my soul every year. So that explains things.
- Freaking Nate’s gotten me so into baseball that the end of the regular season = severe baseball withdrawal.
- After getting off to a ridiculously good start, the Mets’ season was…well, awful. But they ended on three good notes: 1) Jacob deGrom has a very strong case for being the Cy Young Award winner; 2) David Wright’s last game, which was super touching and awesome; 3) Their offence in the last third or so of the season was actually quite good.
- I am digging this song. Super catchy and all four of those ladies are ridiculously pretty.
- Jesus Christ, I want spaghetti.
- It’s snowing like hell outside. It’s the beginning of October. Kill me.
- W H Y A M I S O S A D ?
- I don’t have anything else, bye.
- Nate played this song for me and I’m really digging it. It’s not a five-star, but it’s damn good anyway.
- LOOK AT HOW GOOD THIS PASTA LOOKS! Yums.
- I have recently discovered the wonder that is dry shampoo and I may never shower again.
- Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh that’s it.
- WHO IS THIS HANDSOME MOTHERFUCKER??
- I need a breather between all of these semesters, but I don’t know if I’m going to get one. Also, getting a breather might translate to “we don’t actually need you anymore bye,” so maybe I don’t need a breather between all of these semesters.
- I’ve had this damn song stuck in my head all day:
- I love YouTube poop. It’s an art form, fight me.
- Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I’m done.
I did my March list too early and I already have a whole list of frivolous crap to say, so here we go.
- This is a BADASS song. I’ve had it stuck in my head ever since I heard it.
- I’m super into watching makeup reviews on YouTube right now. They’re nice to have on in the background and for some reason I find them very calming. Jeffree Star is always good; I’ve also been watching a lot of Tati and Beauty News.
- This is really interesting.
- I’m coming back to Moscow for a few weeks at the end of April/beginning of May! Prepare yourselves.
- All this walking is either going to give me LEGS OF STEEL when I’m older or is going to cause me to have to have like a total lower body replacement. I’m not sure which.
- I haven’t gotten to play ETS in like four days and I’m SAD.
- There is no reason I should be laughing as hard at this as I am. But I am. That freaking accordion noise, oh my god.
- I love mashups. I particularly love unexpected/usual mashups. Example: Toto’s Africa and Lil Jon’ s Get Low. That chorus!
- I miss Sean. A lot. I was organizing the crap on my laptop the other day so that I could back it all up in my three different save locations and I came across a picture of him that was taken as he was messing with his new computer. I miss that awesome nerd. I hope everything is working out for him.
- I AM GARBAGE I AM GARBAGE I AM GARBAGE.
It’s the February list.
- I just discovered r/EuroTruck2 and the top posts are hysterical.
- Me before Bluetooth-capable headphones: Why would I ever need Bluetooth? These headphones are fine.
Me after Bluetooth-capable headphones: FUCK CORDS
- I’m pretty sure I’m addicted to pepper. Like, if my mouth is not on fire, there’s not enough of it. I need to feel the burn, man.
- This overwhelming feeling of apathy needs to go die.
- LOOK AT THIS BEAUTIFUL MOTH
(Okay, the moth helped with the apathy. He’s so big and beautiful!)
I’m done here.
- I MISS BASEBALL. WHEN IS BASEBALL.
- I know movies and TV shows have all sorts of weird stuff in them a lot of the time, but there are two things that always bother me. THE FIRST: a character who has a smartphone with no cover/case on it. I’m sure there’s some alternate universe out there where we all carry naked smartphones around with us, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone in real life with a smartphone that doesn’t at least have a clear protective case on it. THE SECOND: women who are running/fighting/battling/doing something extremely physical without tying their hair back. I don’t know if it’s just because I’ve only ever experienced the unruly, untameable nonsense that is my own hair, but I have trouble believing that a woman with any length of hair that could be tied back would not tie it back if starting something that’s rather physical (especially if it’s something she planned for). I know tied-back hair would probably ruin some of “teh sexiness,” but it just bothers me anyway.
- Earlier this year…February or March maybe…I bought an “anorak in a bag” at the Superstore. It’s a light little coat that folds itself into a tiny zippered bag. It’s the best damn light jacket I’ve ever owned. I was hoping to get a few more (since I wear through the backs of coats/shirts/etc. due to walking while wearing a backpack so often), but they’re not available anymore. I hope they come back in stock early next year.
- THE CHICAGO HOPE EPISODES ARE STILL ON YOUTUBE YES VIRGINIA THERE IS A SANTA CLAUSE
- The semester ends on Friday. I’m ready.
- So Iron Fist was…okay. But the actor who played Ward, Tom Pelphrey, was awesome. I’d never heard of him before. He needs to be in more things.
- I WILL achieve my yearly walking distance goal. Nothing can stop me. I will crawl the last ~550 miles if I have to.
- I just realized that with my walking about four hours a day six days a week, I’m probably spending more of my time walking than I am sleeping. That’s healthy, right?
- I hope that when I die, my crotchety attitude towards people’s terrible walking etiquette will be immortalized in a quote on a bench down by the RiverWalk. It won’t be something inspirational like “go the extra mile – it’s never crowded.” It’ll be something like “it’s called a sidewalk, not a sidestand, you inconsiderate fartmongers. NOW GET OFF MY BENCH!”
- I also just realized that I’m kind of following in my dad’s footsteps in the sense that I’m teaching at a university and want to continue to do so for as long as possible. That’s not something I ever though would happen. It’s kinda cool.
- Some kind and wonderful soul has uploaded every Chicago Hope episode to YouTube. I am in heaven.
- Colby-Jack cheese is objectively the best cheese in the universe. Canada does not have it, for some reason. I know, I know, it’s just Colby cheese and Monterey jack cheese mixed together, but I can’t find either of those on their own up here, either. WTF, Canada?
- Baseball’s not even over and I ALREADY MISS BASEBALL THANKS A LOT NATE JEEZ
- Seriously, Chicago Hope is super underrated. I have no idea why it’s not out on DVD yet.
- I’m pretty sure I’ve mentioned these headphones on this blog before, but if you’re ever on the lookout for a cheap set of headphones that still have good sound quality, go with these low-cost Koss ones. Walmart used to sell them for less than $5, but even at the online cost, they’re still pretty cheap. And they really do have good sound quality.
- So Chicago Hope is out on DVD, but the DVDs are “Region 2” DVDs, which mean they won’t play anywhere but in Japan, Europe, the Middle East, and South Africa. WHAT THE HELL, people, are you going to make me get a universal DVD player to watch Chicago Hope the “legal” way?
- I have a tank top addiction. I’m pretty sure I own over 40 tank tops at this point and just keep buying more. They keep coming out with new and varying colors and they only cost $3.50 apiece, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT ME TO DO
- Now I’m looking at universal DVD players on Amazon because WHAT DO YOU EXPECT ME TO DO
- (Okay, I’m done.)