- Holy hot damn, this has been a good year for music. There hasn’t been an extraordinary number of five-star songs, but there have been a lot of four-star ones that have been extra good. Example, example, example. It’s like 2013 all over again.
- I found this Klein bottle website like five years ago, but had forgotten about it until randomly finding it again tonight. I totally want those Klein bottle earrings.
- I found a just-opened Anytime Fitness that’s only a 15-minute walk from campus (as I’ve mentioned before). I’m in the middle of a free 7-day trial there, and I love it. I’m getting back into running, as I mentioned on Saturday, and because nobody knows that the gym is open yet (or even that it’s there), it’s super empty and quiet. I’ve been the only one on the top floor (where all the cardio equipment is) the last few times I’ve been there.
- Nostalgia! I used to watch this when I was a kid. My mom can confirm.
- AND THIS:
- ZOMG, somebody uploaded all the TaleSpin episodes to YouTube. Time to binge watch my childhood.
- I’MMA COMMIN’ BACK TO MOSCOW! For a week, that is. My mom’s picking me up tomorrow and I’m going to spend next week in the ‘Scow. This is mainly because we both miss each other and I don’t know when I’ll be able to visit next.
- It’s taking all my willpower not to go buy like 1,000 Pokemon cards, I’m not even kidding.
- OH MY GODDDD
- I made a salad tonight and put so much pepper on it that it tasted like it shot out of the devil’s anus. As disgusting as that sounds, it was actually really damn good.
- I CAN’T BELIEVE I GET TO TEACH AGAIN OMFG I’M SO EXCITED
- I wonder who my TAs will be. It would be super weird if they were people I know, like Charles or Tayler.
I thought this list was going to be longer. NOPE.
This is a “I don’t have anything interesting to blog about so here’s some crap disguised as one of my monthly lists” list. In other words, IT’S A FRAUD, JUST LIKE ME!
- I wish my thesis defense was over and done with. Like, at this point I just want to finish it, pass or not.
- (I lied. I really want to pass.)
- I like how these “list” posts are just an excuse for me to plug my favorite vines.
- I want a Bod Pod analysis done. It’s supposed to be pretty accurate in determining body composition (% fat, % muscle, etc.). There’s a place in Calgary that does it for $70. Seriously thinking about it.
- Speaking of Calgary, this restaurant is one I found on Yelp due to its good reviews. The menu looks pretty nice!
- Pokemon Go is fantastic. Team Instinct FTW!
- I should be able to hit 1,000 walking miles by August 15 if I keep up my current pace. That will mean that I can do 1,000 miles in three months. Which also means I’ve been slacking off, ‘cause I’ve never actually done 1,000 miles that quickly before.
- I’m going to say it: I like American Dad better than Family Guy. Despite the fact that the families/styles/whatever are so similar, I think American Dad is better. Stan is more likeable than Peter and I just think American Dad’s episode stories are better. So there.
- What is the big goddamn deal with the transgender bathroom nonsense? Just let people pee, seriously. This is not something that should be so difficult to handle.
- CANNOT WAIT TO GET MARRIED
- It’s comforting to know that the A St. sidewalk is the same pedestrian deathtrap it’s always been. Good to be back in Moscow for a bit.
- Oh, I’m back in Moscow, by the way.
- CANNOT WAIT TO BE DONE WITH THIS THESIS
- I think I might need to go to the UI rec center a few times while I’m here. I miss that place so much, you have no idea.
- I’ve mentioned this website before, but here it is again in case you’re like me and think these t-shirts are fantastic. If he ever makes a Leibniz one, I’m buying forty of them.
It’s the April List and the LAST LIST BEFORE A DECADE OF BLOGGING!
- Since I’ve been in study mode, I’ve been listening to a lot of brown noise. It’s like white noise, but a little bit lower (?) and sounds a lot like the ocean. It really helps me concentrate. Here’s brown noise for 8 hours.
- A few of our practice problems for the exam involve the use of integration. I’m always careful to take the time to draw my integral sign as nicely as possible, ‘cause it’s a freaking awesome symbol and ‘cause of Leibniz.
- (Mostly ‘cause of Leibniz.)
- I did a thing! I don’t want to mention specifically what it was, since I don’t want to jinx it, but I did a thing. Hopefully it will turn out well.
- Pretty jewelry! If I had money (and wore jewelry), I’d get the necklace with the constellation Aquarius on it.
- I want tomorrow to be over already. I’m so done with all this nonsense right now, man, you have no idea.
- Sorry this is so short.
It’s the March list, you poop machines*! Let’s get it on.
- I’m always so cold all the damn time. Well, except right when I wake up in the mornings. My body heat just kind of craps out on me during the day. You’d think my Rage of 1,000 Suns would keep me warm, but no.
- Every time I start missing Vancouver, I have to force myself to remember that I was not happy there. Ever. My brain is really good at taking bad past situations and reworking them to make me think, “nah, it wasn’t all that bad.” But Vancouver was. Vancouver was awful.
- OH MY GOD, okay, so for whatever reason, a memory just popped into my head about this game called “Chex Quest” I played when I was a kid. The game—of course—was made to promote Chex cereal. I think the CD came in a box of said cereal, if I remember correctly. Anyway, it was basically Doom, but with cereal. Here’s the intro:
*I use “poop machines” in its most positive sense. I love all y’all.
- Interesting. I’m just a little below the world average BMI for my age.
- I got a 28/30 on my test! YAY
- WHAT. WHATTHESHIT. LOVE:
- I upgraded to Windows 10 on Big Compy. The only thing it seemed to mess up was The Sims. The game is nowhere to be found. TIME FOR A RE-INSTALL I NEED MY SIMS FIX
- I don’t know when the hell I’m going to end up posting these blogs, but I’m going to apologize now for not having them up for like four months at least. I’m finding it hard to give a crap about them right now.
- Actually, I’m finding it hard to give a crap about anything at the moment. I WONDER WHY
- Screw this.
- Need to extract tables from a PDF? Try this!
- I like a good number of the clothes here.
- This sounds super shallow, but I’m going to be sad once my hair starts going grey. I like my black hair. Yes, I know, I could dye it, but…blah.
- This is a cool looking store, too.
- Haha, this is a great music video. Love the animation style.
I DON’T HAVE MUCH TO SAY.
- OH MY GOD I can’t wait until my final is over tomorrow. This has been a very long semester and I’m ready for it to end.
- I was talking to Nate about this a while ago, but for some reason I just remembered it, so I’ll put it on this list: how much different would baseball be if the innings “carried over”? Like, say a team has two men on base and then the guy at bat strikes out or something and the inning is over. Instead of “resetting” when they’re at bat again, like they do, what if whoever was on base at the third out just went back out and stood wherever they were? I wonder how much that would change the game.
- Word recognizes “Hahaha” as a word but not “Hahahaha.” Weird.
- Edit to the above: Apparently “Hahaha” is the name of a South Korean film, so maybe that’s why it’s recognized? Dunno.
- Waaaaaant this semester to eeeeeeeeeeeeend…
- Fisher-centric website!
- Unlike the first time I did grad school, I actually feel excited about doing my thesis this time around. I’m glad it will lead to more grad school, too. I kind of had a feeling it wouldn’t last time.
- There’s going to be a Carl’s Jr. opening up here. Or maybe it already has opened. Isn’t that weird? I thought that was a southern US thing.
- I have a very strong urge to work more on Prime, but my deal with myself is that I don’t get to work on it again until my thesis is done and defended.
- (I should just shut up, ‘cause I totally failed at NaNoWriMo this year anyway. Unless I can write 50,000 words in four days. Which I probably can’t.)
- I’m excited about my 10 year anniversary for blogging. That’s a long damn time to be clogging up the internet tubes with my nonsense.
- The City of Calgary doesn’t need street sweepers. All they need is to have me walk around in the road and I’ll collect all the dust. Seriously, my feet/ankles/legs get ridiculously dusty on my walks.
- In related news: My second toe on my left foot has morphed into a permanent callus. There’s no toe there anymore. Just callus.
- I AM A KAZOO!
- I am also really nervous about getting my grade back for the test I took on Thursday. Kazoos don’t do well on tests.
- OH MY GOD
- I haven’t had a migraine in a while. I hope my saying that doesn’t trigger one!
- Have a picture I took a while ago of clouds over Calgary.
- Nate has turned me into a Mets fan. I’ve always had a soft spot for baseball (it’s practically the only sport I enjoy watching) because the sounds of a game really remind me of my childhood because my mom ALWAYS used to have the Braves games on when we lived in Troy. It’s nice to be able to watch baseball again. Go Mets!
- I still like these Blackberry Passport phones. They’re funky-shaped. It may even win out over an iPhone if I ever get a smart phone.
- (I’ll probably never get a smart phone.)
- If Alaska is “home of the midnight sun,” I think Antarctica should be called the “home of the noon moon.”
- If I ever become a supervillain (hey, you never know if grad school will work out or not), I want my name to be Phantom Sun. Though I guess Sean already decided back in 2008 that my supervillain name was Spectrum, so never mind.
- Cornbread with whole kernels of corn in them are a goddamn culinary abomination. I came here to eat the BREAD part of “cornbread”, not the CORN part.
- (I haven’t had cornbread in forever.)
- Read about the concept of “almost surely” in math/stats. It’s pretty wild.
I HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO SAY!
- I’ve never understood why ordering a well-done steak is apparently the dining equivalent of book burning. I’ve had steak like once in my life, but I’d rather eat a charred piece of dry meat than something that’s actively bleeding. Why is that so wrong?
- Here’s another awesome song from Nate.
- Watch Community. It’s hilarious.
- Is it sad that my little jaunt back to Moscow made me really homesick for it? I mean, I love Calgary and everything I’ve got going on up here, but for some reason I’m really missing Moscow now. And I still miss Vancouver a hell of a lot sometimes, too, despite how miserable I was over there. Bah.
- Crap, I have to write a master’s thesis again. Don’t wanna.
- So when I was writing last Wednesday’s blog, this happened:
Word 2013 knows who SpongeBob is. The older versions didn’t.
- My walking clothes are obscenely sun-faded. I’ll post pics whenever I remember to post pics.
- Here’s a video of trees looking all wobbly through a rainy window pane back during the last storm here:
The August list is OVER!
Because I already have more bullet-point-worthy nonsense to say.
- For some reason, I form an instant kinship with anyone who wears the same brand of shoes as me, even if I don’t know the person at all. I want to run up to them and say, “hey, did you know you could feasibly walk 1,400 miles in those shoes?”
- I downloaded this song last month, but it’s freaking beautiful and worth a mention. Thanks to Nate for showing it to me!
- I have a sudden urge to play Zeppelins: Giants of the Sky, but it doesn’t run on anything later than Windows XP. That game was awesome.
- One of these days, I’m going to continue editing Prime. One of these days.
- I really need a new desktop computer. My laptop is great, don’t get me wrong; it’s just that once I start doing mega simulations in R for my thesis, I’ll want to use a desktop for that.
- Confession: I haven’t watched a single one of Achievement Hunter’s new videos since Ray left. I still love all the guys (and I’m sure new guys are hilarious, too), but it’s just not the same without Ray. I’m definitely going to keep watching the older videos, though. Over and over and over and over, haha.
- You may have noticed I have ceased my Canadian Mall posts. That’s because I ran out of malls.
I HAD FEWER BULLET POINT ITEMS THAN I THOUGHT ALKSAJGLAKDJFA I FAIL
- I’m going to deliberately rickroll y’all here, but this is Never Gonna Give You Up at 8 kps and it’s super relaxing/concentration-promoting, at least for me.
- Hahaha, it’s making me remember Lethargic Bieber, which is good for concentration, too. It really does sound Enya-esque.
- UGH I have to get on a plane early Sunday morning and fly down to attend my grandma’s funeral. I’m done with flying and I’ve never been to a funeral, so I’m pretty nervous.
- Random memory that just popped into my head: back in high school I was a total hooligan and I’d do all sorts of stupid stuff at lunch time to entertain my friends. One of my least inappropriate shenanigans was accidentally breaking a vending machine with a candy bar wrapper. One day I’d had enough change to get a bag of M&Ms out of the vending machine, and it didn’t take me long to eat all the M&Ms and want more (‘cause that’s what I do). I didn’t have any change left, so I wanted to see if I could get the vending machine to accept the M&Ms wrapper instead. I ended up jamming the whole money-accepting mechanics; the thing wouldn’t even take coins and it was kind of hissing and buzzing and sucking the wrapper in and out like it was possessed. I fled the scene before I could get caught. I’m still wanted in 5 states for similar crimes.
- Tumblr is all aglow with Steven Universe-related stuff, and it all makes me want to give the show a try because the pictures/episodes sound interesting. Might have to do it.
- I have to start packing my stuff for the upcoming moving day at the end of this month, but I have zero motivation to do so. It’s not that I don’t want to be moved into the new place—it’s that I don’t want to actually go through the moving process itself. I have done that more than my fair share for sure. At least I kept all my boxes that I used when moving to Calgary, and at least I’m not moving to a different country this time.
- Good thing about June: the days are super long. Bad thing about June: for the rest of the year, the days will be getting shorter.
- I’m already nervous about my thesis defense and that’s like 11 months away. DAMN YOU, VANCOUVER, DAMN YOU.
Okay, I’m done.
Edit: Woah, Steven Universe is legit.
I am in a WEIRD MOOD, so you get a WEIRD BLOG
- I’m getting back into OK Go ever since we went to the concert.
- It’s getting harder and harder to wait to read that Newton biography. Though I’m going to read it over the summer! And of course read Leibniz’ bio around the beginning of July, because that’s tradition now.
- I miss my old band friends.
- I miss my old high school friends, too. I wonder where everybody is and what they’re all doing now (I’m pretty sure none of them read my blog anymore, haha).
- UGH, this blog of mine. It’s the most annoying thing on the internet sometimes, huh?
- Okay, I’m done.
Is this the April List? WHO KNOWS?!!?!?!
(I’m not on drugs, I swear)
IT’S THE APRIL LIST
- I wish I knew when I was TA-ing in the spring/summer.
- Yes, I said “spring/summer” because U of C is weird. “Fall semester” is like UI’s fall semester (September to December). “Winter semester” is like UI’s spring semester (January to April). “Spring semester” is like the first half of UI’s summer semester (May to June) and “summer semester” is like the second half of UI’s summer semester (July to August). Odd news.
- May needs to get here for two reasons: 1) I’m ready for this semester to be over, and 2) I really, really need new shoes.
- Holy hell, do I need new shoes.
- I should bring those “This Week’s Science Blog” posts back.
- Tomorrow I’m going to see Age of Ultron with Nate and I’m super excited. Excited enough to make it a point in the April list, apparently.
- Um, iPod? I’m not sure that conversion is correct.
- I have a very strong and sudden urge to write a biography of John Tukey. Statisticians need biographies, too! It’s too bad I suck at writing in general and suck even more at nonfiction writing.
- HAHAHA, I accidentally hit the “random blog post” button on my blog and it brought me to this page and I remember finding that damn picture on the Australian Chicken Meat Federation webpage. WTF, Australia?
- Where the hell did February go?
- I have about 50 miles to go before I hit 1,000 miles on these shoes. The wear pattern on the soles is actually quite different than it was on my Saucony 3’s, which is strange. Maybe I’ve changed my stride?
- It always makes me nervous when a month (or some other section of the year) seems to go by really quickly. Like by the time it feels like it’s May, it’ll actually be 2020. I’ll probably STILL be in school.*
- This year’s going pretty well music-wise. It’s no 2013, but it’s pretty good so far.
- OH GOD my 9-year blogging anniversary (can I say “blogaversary”? Does that sound too ridiculous?) is about two months away. That’s scary.
- What’s even scarier is that in one more year, I will have been blogging for almost a decade.
- This is a short list, sorry.
*God I hope not.**
**Though I said the same thing back in 2008 when I graduated the first damn time, so…
Warning: this monthly list sucks even more than the majority of my monthly lists. Be prepared.
- When the hell did I even start making these monthly list things? *does quick scan of old blogs* Oh. 2010. I guess they weren’t consistent until recently, though, huh?
- (Like anyone cares.)
- Windows gets really defensive when you try to move the location of Solitaire. You need like CIA-level super-top-secret permissions.
- I just realized that I saved a document containing an assignment as “Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers” and then emailed it to my professor without changing the document name. Oops.
- My Tumblr blog consists of math, .gifs of the sun, and Achievement Hunter. Clearly it is the best blog on the site.
- Why are there no good biographies of any of the big statisticians? I would read a thorough biography of Fisher in a heartbeat, and I seriously doubt I’m the only one in the world who would do so.
- I like how I bitch about Twitter and then keep posting Twitter-related things. Though in my defense, Vine is like the loud, obnoxious, mile-a-minute child of Twitter, so I guess it’s not quite the same. And Vines can be funny. Tweets are just dumb.
- 2015 is going pretty well so far!
- Too bad this list is crap!