This year certainly has had its up and downs; however, the ups have absolutely outweighed the downs. Part of this is due to the fact that the downs helped lead to the ups.
For example, I had a hell of a time getting to Calgary in pretty much all aspects of the process (want evidence of this? Read my blogs from this spring/summer). However, ever since I’ve gotten to Calgary, things have just been wonderful…especially for the past month and a half or so.
The best parts of this year, though, are knowing that the goodness from the end of 2014 is going to bleed right into 2015 and the excitement that 2015 will be an even better year.
For the first time in a long, long time, I am very happy. I can’t wait to see what 2015 will be like, and that’s in great part due to the events of this year.
You did good, 2014. You did good.
Hey, it’s the 29th! Looks like it’s the annual “let’s review the old resolutions and make some new ones” blog post.
- ACCOMPLISHED: Blog daily. Was there ever any doubt?
- ACCOMPLISHED: Continue my 365 Days of Music project. This year was rough because it was probably the worst year for music since I started this, but I still managed.
- FAILED: Continue working on my writing project thingy. Apart from Arborhood, I didn’t get much writing done AT ALL this year. It was quite shameful.
- ACCOMPLISHED: Win NaNoWriMo 2014. YAY! It felt pretty good to do this considering I didn’t even start NaNo last year. And I actually kind of like my story and plan on editing it.
- ACCOMPLISHED: Graduate. I never, ever, ever thought I’d have a math degree, let alone graduate with honors while getting one. Graduation sucked, but we’re not going to get into that here.
- FAILED: Try not to be such a horrible freaking failure at everything I do. Yeah, that didn’t happen.
Those were some crappy resolutions.
- Blog daily, 365 musics, blah, blah, blah.
- Win NaNoWriMo 2015.
- Now that I’m pretty sure next year will be stable as far as where I’ll be and what I’ll be doing, I’mma set a walking goal! Let’s say…1,500 miles. Pretty low, I know, but there’s always Calgary weather to take into account, right?
- WRITE. It doesn’t have to necessarily be new stuff (except for NaNo, of course), but I really need to commit to rewrites of some of my old stuff. Prime is important to me; I don’t want to let it die.
- Post these damn blogs on a more frequent and consistent basis. I’m going to try for once a week, but don’t hate me if this doesn’t happen.
- Kick ass in my grad program. I want to show U of C that I can do stats very, very well. Also, I have no desire to leave Calgary any time soon.
The 2014 DJ Earworm mashup is here!
Considering how crappy the music’s been this year, this is an amazingly catchy mashup. I like it (though it took me a few listens).
The 2014 ranking for the most livable cities is out!
By some voodoo magic, Vancouver is #3 (after Melbourne and Vienna). I like Vancouver, as you all know, but I wouldn’t exactly call it a livable city. It’s super expensive and the weather will destroy your soul. Also, its close proximity to Surrey should automatically disqualify it.
Toronto is #4; Calgary is tied with Adelaide for #5. No U.S. cities made the top 10.
So I pretty much failed at everything this year.
Punishment: going through all of this year’s resolutions and seeing exactly how many I failed.
Let’s do this!
FAILED: Walk 1,500 miles. NOPE! I’ll be about 150 miles short of 1,500. No excuse for that other than I suck.
ACCOMPLISHED: Blog daily. Pfft, big deal.
FAILED: Win NaNoWriMo 2013. I DIDN’T EVEN START WOW I’M SUCH AN AWESOME PERSON
ACCOMPLISHED: Continue my 365 Days of Music project. This is like automatic for me now, so this doesn’t count.
FAILED: Draw at least two new thingies a month. Ha.
SORT OF ACCOMPLISHED: Do something with my writing. I actually made substantial progress on this, so I guess this is a “sort of.”
FAILED: Study for the GRE this time before I take the damn thing. Didn’t take the GRE. Got waaaaaaay too busy to study for it.
FAILED: Learn as much as possible. I learned a lot, but I don’t think I learned enough to say I learned “as much as possible” for the year.
ACCOMPLISHED: Revamp and start over with my book list. I actually did this one! Granted, I’ve only read 3.5 books on the list as of now, but as I said above, I got waaaaaaay too busy to do pretty much anything but school.
ACCOMPLISHED: Uh…try not to die? Like this one even counts, either.
Ugh, jeez. I don’t even know.
- Blog daily (a standard).
- Continue my 365 Days of Music project (another standard).
- Continue working on my writing project thingy.
- Win NaNoWriMo 2014.
- I’m not setting a walking distance goal ‘cause I’m not sure what’s going down this year in terms of “big super happy life plans.” I’d explain further, but I don’t want to.
- Try not to be such a horrible freaking failure at everything I do.