So today’s topic has been on my mind for awhile, and since I have nothing else that’s dying to be said today, I felt like I could just talk about it now.
At the beginning of last semester I gave the link to my blog to a newly acquired friend (said friend: I don’t know if you still read this, but if you are, you probably know what I’m going to talk about, haha). They read a few pages and came back to me the next day saying that the whole blog felt rather pointless.
Understandably, this rather quick judgment had me kind of miffed. But then I realized that they probably saw my blog as pointless because they’re just looking at the surface of it.
And at the surface, it is pretty pointless. I mean really, there’s not much else here apart from surveys, crappy art, crappy rants, internet stuff, and me obsessing about school/stats/Leibniz/other such things.
But I’ve kept this blog since 2006. That means that I’ve blogged from my last month in high school up until now. That’s about 7.5 years now. That’s a long freaking time, especially when it comes to keeping up a daily routine. And there are a lot of reasons why I’ve decided to keep the routine of blogging and why this blog may seem, at the surface, “pointless.”
- I use this blog to get out some of the extra noise in my head. Doing so may take the form of a rant, a reflection, a discussion about school, whatever. Writing it out just helps to clear some of the clutter.
- I use this blog to post some of my creative things: my writing, my drawings, my “songs.” However crappy they are, I do like to get them out there somewhere.
- I use this blog to talk about my passions. Not a lot of my friends like the things I like. It’s hard to find someone to sit down with and rave about statistics. It’s hard to find someone to quote Achievement Hunter with (actually, since I don’t know anyone in person who’s a fan of them, I can’t really find anyone to do this with) or who will talk about how wonderful Leibniz is. I talk about my passions here because if I didn’t, I’d never get to talk about them at all.
- I use this blog to retain my sanity. I had practically no friends in Vancouver, no friends in London, no friends in Tucson, and very few friends now that I’m back in Moscow. I know it sounds cheesy, but just having somewhere where I could get words out into the public (even if that public was the vast, disinterested internet) made those times manageable.
- I use this blog to record my life. It’s not all of my life by any means, but it’s a decent chunk of it. I can’t count the number of times I’ve been able to use my blog to go back and find the specific date or dates of something important or something school-related. I love having a record of things, and that’s what this blog is.
So yeah. On the surface, all my posts (or at least the vast majority of them) are probably pretty meaningless. But they mean something to me. They’re part of me. And I’m okay with it if you don’t want to read it.
Just please don’t think of it as pointless, because it most certainly is not.