I suppose any decade has the capacity to bring about MASSIVE CHANGE due simply to its length, but this past decade has definitely brought many changes, both worldwide and personally.
For example, 10 years ago today was December 30, 2009. Things that were true on that day include:
- I was 21 years old
- I had a BS in psychology, a BS in philosophy, and had just finished my first semester of grad school at UBC for an MA in psychology
- I was 100% miserable in my grad program and did not want to go back up to Vancouver after visiting Moscow over Christmas break
- I had no desire to ever become an instructor/professor (or whatever the hell you want to call it), especially an instructor/professor of math
- I was not yet walking for pleasure/exercise/sanity
- I suspected I’d never find anyone I wanted to actually legitimately marry. People I liked? Yes. People I thought would like me and would tolerate my nonsense? Nope
- I had 1,340 blog posts on Eigenblogger
Now, on December 30, 2019, the following things are true:
- I am 31 years old
- I have a BS in psychology, a BS in philosophy, I (somehow) finished my time at UBC to get an MA in psychology. I also now have a BS in math and an MS in statistics
- I love living in Calgary and always enjoy going back after visiting Moscow over Christmas break (even though I miss my mom when I leave Moscow!)
- I have been working the past six-ish years to get to where I am now career-wise as an instructor in math/stats
- Walking is my JAM, yo
- I have found my soulmate and love him more than I ever thought I could love someone
- I have 4,992 blog posts on Eigenblogger
Wild. What has changed for y’all over the past decade?
I hope the next decade proves to be even better to everyone.
Since I started my Decade of Music project back in 2010, I’ve made it a point to have each year’s December 31st song be that year’s United State of Pop mashup by DJ Earworm (with his 2009 mashup actually being the first song I downloaded in 2010).
Well, almost as if it was meant to line up with my decade-long project, he’s released short (~1:30-minute or so) mashups of ten 2009 songs with ten 2019 songs.
And they are FANTASTIC.
I love this kind of stuff, yo. It activates my happies (and not a lot of things do that these days).
- Lady Gaga – Pokerface vs Ava Max – Sweet but Psycho
- Black Eyed Peas – Boom Boom Pow vs BTS – Boy with Luv
- Taylor Swift – Love Story vs Taylor Swift – You Need to Calm Down (these sound so good together!)
- MGMT – Kids vs Billie Eilish vs Bad Guy
- Flo Rida – Right Round vs Lil Nas X – Old Town Road
- Beyonce – Single Ladies vs Ariana Grande – Thank U, Next
I posted this video way back in 2009 when I first saw it, but for some reason that damn “HELL NO, HELL NO, HELL NOOOOOOOO!” was stuck in my head today so now we all get to relive 2009 news.
I forgot how catchy this damn thing was. Lawl, remember when Palin was the most insane republican in the spotlight?
So I’ve linked to this guy’s 2008 remix before, but his 2009 remix is pretty awesome too, so I’ll just link to all three he’s done, so you can get a good dose of awesome remix happiness before the new year.
Well, 2008 has come to a close. Thank god. So here I am with another set of New Year’s resolutions (and the results from the last set):
-Keep the 4.0.
Status: check, thank GOD.
-Go to the rec center three times a week.
-Keep a journal of my weird, weird dreams.
Status: nope, didn’t happen.
-Actually start studying for the GRE sometime before I have to take it.
Status: technically I did this…but only by like two days.
-Make at least one decent Flash animation.
Status: does The Wrath of Xbar count?
-For once, I’m going to try and NOT worry about keeping a 4.0. Sure, I’ll try, but I’m also taking Linear Algebra.
-Get into grad school.
-Get better at R.
-Get better at Flash.
-Keep blogging, regardless of MySpace’s stupidity! (2-years-later edit: hahahahaha)
And…that’s about it.