Hello, reader(s)! So this is going to be the TMI posts of all TMI posts (at least until I post the thing I plan on posting sometime this summer), so if you don’t want to read about my nasty-ass body, feel free to skip this.
I’m very close to hitting 1,000 walking miles for the year (it should happen either the last week of April or the first week of May, if all goes well). Since I take approximately two days off from walking per week (one of the weekend days, and my “I’m a slug, deal with it” Fridays), that means I walk approximately 11 to 12 miles five days a week. Some weeks it’s more, some weeks it’s less, but on average, I’d say approximately 12 per day. Here’s some of the weird shit that this walking regimen has done to my body:
- Two of my toenails are completely black. Like, always. I think there’s blood under the nail from them being pushed against the insides of my shoes. This is, however, most likely due to the fact that I had to revert to Kinvara 5s when I
murdered without remorsewore out my Kinvara 6s. I wore an 8 in the 6s and went back to a 7.5 in the 5s; I think my feet had gotten used to a little more room.
- My big toes’ toenails, on the other hand, are shiny enough to be used to signal a passing plane from a remote island. I think my socks are polishing them.
- My calf muscles are super visible when I flex them. It makes me very happy.
- My knee-high socks do not appreciate my calves, though.
- After my longer walks (15+ miles) or walks when I’m carrying groceries home (12 miles, 20+ pounds or so in my backpack?) I’ve started getting hematuria. Apparently it’s fairly common with strenuous and/or long bouts of exercise (and particularly for runners) and not too big of a deal. Which is good, ‘cause it scared the hell out of me at first. It also goes away within about 5 hours.
- I have the most godawful tan pattern going on, especially on my arms. It’s mainly on my left arm, ‘cause I wear my extra hairbands and Fitbit on that arm, but all of them have been worn for different amounts of time, so my skin’s in like 30 different shades on my left arm. It’s weird. I’m going to look awful at my wedding; I should get a long-sleeved dress.