I’m not a movie person. We’ve established this.
I’ve mentioned Sunshine on here once or twice before because despite my not being a movie person, I really, really, really like this movie.
Reasons [and possible spoilers?]:
- It’s about the freaking sun, man. I love the sun.
- I was expecting it to be one of those cheesy “good looking action heroes wear overly revealing space suits and sucker punch the sun with a nuclear bomb, restarting it, and everyone lives happily ever after.” It’s totally not.
- The soundtrack is the most phenomenal soundtrack ever. Example, example.
- Despite it not being scientifically accurate in a lot of ways, the details included that are accurate (or at least are believable) make it a believable movie. At least to me. I guess what I’m saying is that the story itself is so strong that the specific details need not be totally accurate. Which I think is important for a sci fi such as this.
- Kaneda’s death makes me cry each time. Movies do not make me cry.
- Seriously, the soundtrack is beautiful. If you can’t find the movie, at least find the soundtrack.
- When Capa says, “we’re flying into the sun” near the very end, it is delivered in such a heart-wrenching and beautiful way that is just totally makes the ending.
- It lacks an unnecessary romance subplot. How many movies can you say that about?
- You go in totally expecting a HAL moment with the Icarus II computer. It doesn’t happen. It fakes you out a couple times, but it doesn’t happen.
- Dr. Searle is a badass.
- THAT EFFING FALLOUT-ESQUE FLASHY THING WHEN THEY BOARD ICARUS I OH MY GOD
- The third act. I’ve read a lot of review of the movie (’cause, you know, I get overly obsessive about things I like) and the main complaint is that the third act “ruins” everything because it is so different than the first two thirds. I didn’t like that as well at first, but now that I’ve watched it for like the hundredth time, I realize that I think it works. Again, you’re not expecting it.
- DID I MENTION THE SOUNDTRACK?
Haha, sorry. I just dig this movie. Go find it and watch it, seriously.