…it’d have to be this.
I don’t even know why. But it speaks to me on a genetic level.
This song has been the only song I’ve been able to write to for a solid week and a half now (except the version I’ve got is much faster). The more I listen to it, the more I like it (or at least, the more I like the positive association between it and “holy crap I’m actually getting work done!”).
For those readers who weren’t in concert band this spring (aka all of you), we played this and it was awesome.
FREAKING TUMBLR, MAN
Just do it.
The guy who sings “I Can Go the Distance” is amazing and the guy who does the Gaston Song sounds JUST LIKE HIM.
Every once and awhile I just find Family Guy obscenely funny (this blog has nothing to do with Family Guy, just an observation)
This is…actually pretty good. I heard the first like fifteen seconds and was like “NOOOOOOOO they be ruinin’ mah current fave song!” but then it got snazzy.
Also, Doin’ It Right is now my third most-played song.
Freaking Daft Punk.
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, why not. I know nobody gives a damn about my music collection, but sometimes I just wanna survey, okay?
1. Put your music player on shuffle.
2. Post the first 40 songs that come up.
3. You can repeat artists if you want.
4. If you have any repeats, skip to the next track.
- Welcome Home – Radical Face
- Bad Day – Daniel Powter
- Satisfaction – Benny Benassi
- It’s My Life – Bon Jovi
- Walking on Air – Kerli
- Next to You – The Police
- Love is a Beautiful Thing – Krystal
- Hair – Lady Gaga
- Secrets – OneRepublic
- Video Killed the Radio Star – The Buggles
- Chocolate Disco – Perfume
- Relax (Take it Easy) – Mika
- Saturdays – Cut Copy
- Bye Bye Love – The Everly Brothers
- Tarzan Boy – Bango
- Friday I’m in Love – The Cure
- Don’t Stop Believin’ – Journey
- Tom Sawyer – Rush
- Creep – Radiohead
- Sing, Sing, Sing – Benny Goodman
- Freedom Cry – Deep Forest
- Karma Police – Radiohead
- It’s Still Rock & Roll to Me – Billy Joel
- Tubular Bells – Mike Oldfield
- Promiscuous – Nelly Furtado
- As Long as You Love Me – Backstreet Boys
- All Alone – Fun.
- We’ve Got Everything – Modest Mouse
- Part of Me – Katy Perry
- Baby I’m Yours – Breakbot
- Crazy Beautiful Life – Ke$ha
- Touch the Sky – Iambic
- Go Your Own Way – Fleetwood Mac
- Hello Seattle – Owl City
- Break Up the Concrete – The Pretenders
- Deep Folk Song – Deep Forest
- Symmetry – Dethklok
- Star to Fall – Cabin Crew
- Last Leaf – OK Go
- Phantom – Justice
1. Which song do you prefer, #1 or #40?
Welcome home (#1). It’s got an amazingly beautiful chorus. Also, it was the song that played when I was coming across the US-Canadian border after defending my thesis.
2. Have you ever listened to #12 continuously on repeat?
3. What album is #26 from?
4. What do you think about the artist who did #15?
Tarzan Boy’s the only song I have from Bango, but it’s a freaking awesome dance song, so I should probably check out the rest of their work.
5. Is #19 one of your favorite songs?
It’s one of my favorite “sit in the corner and brood” songs.
6. Who does #38 remind you of?
It reminds me of the guys from the house, ‘cause I downloaded it while I was living there and I just used to play it in that house a lot.
7. Does #20 have better lyrics or music?
8. Do any of your friends like #3?
It’s a pretty popular song, so I’ll say yes.
9. Is #33 from a movie soundtrack?
Not that I know of.
10. Is #18 overplayed on the radio?
I’ve only ever heard it on the radio once when I was at the rec center.
11. What does #21 remind you of?
12. Which song do you prefer, #5 or #22?
#22. Karma Police is another good “sit in the corner and brood” songs. Radiohead’s good for that.
13. What album is #17 from?
14. When did you first hear #39?
A few years ago. Found it while searching through Ok Go vids on YouTube.
15. When did you first hear #7?
In Legally Blonde, haha.
16. What genre is #8?
I think Lady Gaga’s her own genre.
17. Do any of your friends like #14?
I have no idea. I don’t know if my friends like the Everly Brothers.
18. What color does #4 remind you of?
Yellow. Bon Jovi always reminds me of yellow.
19. Have you ever blasted #11 on your stereo?
Indeed. It’s got some badass bass goin’!
20. What genre is #37?
21. Can you play #13 on any instrument?
22. What is your favorite lyric from #30?
“How can I go on
Without falling apart
Love’s so hard to find
When someone’s on your mind”
23. What is your favorite lyric from #23?
“Don’t waste your money on a new set of speakers,
You get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers.”
24. Would you recommend #24 to your friends?
Tubular Bells is BADASS.
25. Is #2 a good song to dance to?
26. Do you ever hear #16 on the radio?
I think I’ve heard it one or two times.
27. Is #32 more of a “nighttime” or “daytime” song?
I’d say daytime.
28. Does #36 have any special meaning to you?
Kinda. Deep Forest was a group we always listened to during mandala time in Art Camp, so it reminds me of that.
29. Do any of your friends like #31?
Probably. Ke$ha’s rad.
30. Is #25 a fast or slow song?
31. Is #35 a happy or sad song?
I’d say energetic more than happy, but definitely more happy than sad.
32. What is one of your favorite lyrics from #9?
“Don’t care if critics ever jump in line
I’m gonna give all my secrets away”
33. Is #34 better to listen to alone or with friends?
34. When did you first hear #27?
Fairly recently. It’s a pretty new song.
35. Name 3 other songs by the artist who did #29:
Hot N’ Cold, Firework, Waking Up in Vegas
36. Do you know all the words to #6?
I know all the words to most of my songs, this one included.
37. Does #28 have better lyrics or music?
I have no idea why this has only 37 questions, but we’ll swing with it.
What is this nonsense, huh, Daft Punk?
Good lord, instant favorite. I’m going to have to kick something else off my “Top 50” playlist so that this can go on it.
Here are my favorite “I listen to this when I’m sad” songs. I’ve posted some of these before, but I’m doing it again. Because I’m very, very sad today.
- Best I Ever Had (Grey Sky Morning) – Vertical Horizon
- Breath Me – Sia
- Echo – Jason Walker
- Exile Vilify – The National (I can seriously hardly handle this song)
- Fix You – Coldplay
- I Think It’s Going to Rain Today – Randy Newman
- The Last Day on Earth – Kate Miller-Heidke
- 10,000 Miles – Mary Chapin Carpenter
I may have mentioned this video on here before, but I’m pretty sure I’ve never posted it or really talked about it. And I re-discovered it the other day, so here you go.
This nifty little song is called Prisecolinensinenciousol. Written by Italian Adriano Celentano, the song’s lyrics are total gibberish designed to sound like American English.
Catchy, ain’t it? I remember one spring when Nick and I would talk to each other in fake French we actually convinced some dude at Hastings that we were really speaking French. We’re bad people, oui?
Sit and enjoy.
I’m telling you now that this week’s blogs are going to suck (I mean, even more than usual) because I’ve got two tests and no free time and no sanity left for any sort of coherent blog posts. Apologies in advance. Maybe this weekend I’ll make a drawing for y’all.
So I linked to a super awesome discussion of Leibniz’ Monadology the other day, right?
Well, if you’ve listened to that (if you haven’t go do it now, fools!), I highly recommend The Partially Examined Life to get more amazing discussions of a wide variety of philosophical works by some of the major dudes in philosophy. Click on the “Podcasts” tab up at the top to see the whole list of discussions.
Seriously, these are awesome. Next up for me is HUUUUUUME! Freakin’ love Hume, man. That’s why I have this shirt.
Also, UI drama is happening because of my tuition waiver thingy. I had whole rant typed out but I deleted it because I’m trying to deal with frustration in a more constructive manner this year. That will probably end with me repressing everything because that’s just how I am, but what’re you going to do?
OH, and if any of you haven’t seen/heard this yet (or seen anything by DJ Earworm):
Yes, this post was heavy in the “stuff on the internet that’s not mine” material. I’m stressing about the upcoming semester, deal with it.