Mmm, it’s got that end-of-the-year survey smell!
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
Skydived (skydove? What the hell is the past tense of that?).
2. Where did you begin 2011?
In my apartment in Vancouver. Nothing special.
3. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I kept a few of them. I was a massive failure at pretty much everything this year.
4. What was your status by Valentine’s Day?
Do you have to ask that, really?
5. Did anyone close to you give birth?
6. Did anyone close to you die?
My grandpa on my dad’s side.
7. Were you in school?
For most of the year, yes.
8. What countries did you visit?
Well, I LIVED in both Canada and the US.
9. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
10. What moments from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory?
Skydiving, hospital visits 1 and 2, the MA defense, seeing Mount Rushmore.
11. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting my Master’s.
12. What was your biggest failure?
13. Did you have to go to the hospital?
14. What was the best thing you bought?
I’m not really sure, actually. I’ve had very little money this year.
15. Where did most of your money go?
We’re not going to discuss that.
16. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Statistics, as usual. Grad school at UWO.
17. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Coldplay’s Paradise. Or OneRepublic’s Good Life. Ironically, neither of those song titles describes 2011 for me in the slightest.
18. What concerts/shows did you go to?
None. SAD DAY.
19. Compared to this time last year, are you:
I. happier or sadder? Happier, I suppose.
II. thinner or fatter? A bit thinner.
III. richer or poorer? HA, poorer.
20. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Worked (haha, I hate not having a job).
21. What do you wish you’d done less of?
22. What trips did you go on?
I guess you can count our one-day excursion to Mount Rushmore a trip on our way to London, ON.
23. What was your favorite TV program?
I’m still digging Metalocalypse.
24. What was the best book you read?
Lolita was absolutely fantastic. READ IT.
25. What were your greatest musical discoveries?
Guns N’ Roses, OneRepublic…everything else is pretty much by individual song.
26. What did you want and get?
Please refer to question 11.
27. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Haha, I don’t remember what I did on my birthday. I was 23.
28. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not losing my mind.
29. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
30. What kept you sane?
What is this “sane?”
31. Who did you miss?
All my Moscow crazies. My mother.
32. Who was the best new person you met?
George up in London! He’s awesome.
33. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011:
Sometimes it’s just not worth it.
34. Did you move anywhere?
I moved a total of five times. Vancouver to Moscow, Moscow to London, London to Moscow, Moscow to Marana, Marana to Tucson.
35. What’s something you thought you would never do but did in 2011?
Voluntarily ran a 10K.
36. What was your best month?
Such a thing did not exist this year.
37. Any regrets?
None that were necessarily new to this year, no.
38. Overall, how would you rate this year?
On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being horrible and 10 being outstanding, 2011 ranks in at about a -463.
39. What did you like most about 2011?
That it’s ENDING.
40. Other than home, where did you spend most of your time?
My office in Van.
41. Change your hairstyle?
Sawed a lot of it off in January.
42. Get a new job?
I got a new TA position at UBC and one (however briefly) at UWO. Still looking for a job currently, though.
43. Do anything embarrassing?
44. Get married or divorced?
45. Did you get sick this year?
Depends on how you define “sick.”
46. Start a new hobby?
Does having panic attacks count?
47. Are you happy to see 2011 go?
OH GOD YES.
48. What are you wishing for in 2012?